Many people think that muslims can do more than one marriage.Muslims are basically followers of single marriage contrary to the belief that they practice polygamy. With the changing times this community has also changed and has become more liberal. The marriage is fixed by the families of boy and girl and a proposal for marriage normally comes form the boy’s side. After the mutual of consent of boy and girl the wedding is fixed.
In muslims generally registration of marriage does not holds a great importance. But still due to legal rules it may be done. Muslim men can marry a girl of any community except jewish and christian. The children born out of such marriage follow islam. If a muslim girl wants to marry a man of different religion then the man has to convert to islam for marriage.
In case of either of the man or women is already married the marriage can take place only after legal termination of the first marriage.
The couple needs to be present before the islamic judge along with two witnesses for marriage. Money and gifts may be given to the couple at the time of marriage.
An arya samaj marriage is a very good option for people who want to get married in short time, without too many rituals too follow. In an arya samaj marriage the wedding is performed by a priest in the presence of fire and other elements as the only evidence. Arya samaj weddings are considered to be very economical.
Many Love marriages are given the status of legal marriage when performed in arya samaj way. The priest performs the pooja in front of agni and people from the sides of bride and groom act as a witness to marriage.
However there are certain rules for the registration of marriage performed in arya samaj way:
• The minimum age at the time of marriage should be 21 for male and 18 for female.
• Two witnesses. Identity proofs of the witnesses is mandatory.
• Two garlands, two kilogram sweets and half kilogram ghee.
• Documentary evidence of Date of Birth of both the parties.
• Affidavits, each from the bride and groom, stating their date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality.
• A copy of divorce decree/order in case a divorcee or death certificate of spouse in case a widow/widower.
• Four passport size photos of each.
• The affidavit must provide affirmation that the bride and groom are not related to each-other within the prohibited degree of relationship.